SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
- Extensive experience as Counsel for several multinational corporations, with particular emphasis on international legal transactions in Europe, Japan and Latin America.
- Law school education includes the degree Dr. jur. cum laude from the University of Heidelberg, Germany.
- Speak, read and write German fluently, read French and Spanish.
PRIVATE PRACTICE, West Hartford and Southbury, CT (Since 1990)Provide international legal service to U.S. clients on international commercial transactions and to European, Latin American and Asian clients with respect to legal matters in the United States.
Speaker at Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education Seminar "Doing Business in the 'New' Europe" on the subject of "Distributor Agreements". Speaker at Connecticut Bar Association Seminar "Representing Foreign Owned Businesses in Connecticut" on subject of "Foreign Direct Investments: Restrictions and Reporting Requirements". Also held seminars on Investment Opportunities in Eastern Germany, Exporting, and Rebate and Pricing Practices under Art. 86 of the Rome Treaty.
Was designated Vertrauensanwalt for the German Consulate General in Boston.
EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY, Rochester, NY (1982 - 1990) Counsel European and Japanese Regions:
European Region: Compliance with EEC antitrust law and responding to EEC Commission inquiries; coordinating company legal departments in England, France and Germany as well as supervising outside counsel; and advising management on dumping, distribution, transfer pricing, tax, customs, export control and general commercial questions. Formed joint venture in Hungary.
Japanese Region: Developed corporate structures to accommodate the Company's anticipated growth in that area; supervised and coordinated the formation of two joint ventures and two acquisitions; advised on tax and distribution questions concerning the Company's purchasing activities in the Far East.
California Operations: Served as counsel on domestic and international matters for new Kodak acquisitions such as Verbatim, Inc. and Datatape Inc.
BURNDY CORPORATION, Norwalk, CT (1981) Associate General Counsel:
Served as number two lawyer in charge of all commercial legal matters, domestic and international. Supervised the Commercial Counsel in charge of the U.S. area.
XEROX CORPORATION, Stamford, CT (1972 - 1981) International Counsel with the following assignments:
1972-1974 counseled US Management on foreign investment and shareholder questions relating to Fuji Xerox Ltd. (Japan); responsible for all international matters of the non-copier operations; coordinated the Corporation's export control compliance program.
1975 on temporary assignment with the Law Department of Rank Xerox Ltd., London, England. Advised on the formation of a joint venture.
1976-1978 Counsel Xerox Latin American Group, Primarily concerned with foreign investment laws, relationships with minority shareholders, import restrictions and manufacturing projects. Supervised four national in-house law departments.
1978-1981 counseled as many as eight Xerox non-copier operating units on international legal questions and supervised the assisting outside counsel. Implemented a joint venture arrangement to fit those international operations within the agreement between Xerox and the Rank Organisation. Drafted and negotiated numerous sales, OEM, distribution and license agreements and, when required by law, notified them to the EEC Commission. Formed several European subsidiaries for those operations and was responsible for their corporate housekeeping.
GENERAL FOODS CORPORATION, White Plains, NY (1970 - 1972) Senior Attorney:
Engaged in international acquisitions, patent and trademark licensing, export and military sales, manufacturing agreements, construction agreements, leasing, franchising and general corporate matters. Also served as attorney for Bird's Eye Division with respect to domestic commercial matters.
THE DOW CHEMICAL COMPANY. Midland, MI (1968 - 1970) Attorney:
Engaged in general corporate work consisting mainly of antitrust, SEC, sales, secured transactions, international, product liability and leasing.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS: MEMBERSHIPS:
- Harvard College.- AB degree cum laude, 1962
- University of Michigan Law School: JD degree, 1965
- University of Heidelberg, Germany, Dr. jur. degree cum laude, 1969; Neuere Probleme des Haftungsdurchgriffs bei juristischen Personen im Recht der Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika, dissertation written under the direction of Prof. Dr. Rolf Serick
- DAAD/Fulbright scholarship grantee for postgraduate legal studies in Germany; research assistant to Prof. Dr. Rolf Serick at Institut für Ausländisches und Internationales Privat- und Wirtschaftsrecht, University of Heidelberg.
- Admitted to practice in Connecticut, New York, and Michigan
- Vertrauensanwalt for the German Consulate General in Boston
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Deutscher Juristentag e.v.
- Alpha Universal World Trade Lawyers
- Harvard Club of New York City
- Harvard Club of Southern Connecticut